Monday, December 15, 2014

Banana Jesus

So, I can't remember if I have mentioned my families affinity for bananas. Not eating them. Having one in your car. I was telling a co-worker about this and thought - Hey, that would be a good blog. So I tried to check my blog to see if I had mentioned it before and if I have, for the life of me I can't find it. So, I am risking repetition. If you know about bananas in my families cars, feel free to skip this. I completely understand. I will be brief in the event you just HAVE to read but know about our bananas.

Every time anything is mentioned about banana, my mind goes to my Mom and Stephen Colbert (a recent addition to the memory banks).
 
Many years ago my family, my sister’s family and my mom were getting together for something and we were going out to dinner when Amy (my sister’s daughter and mostly an adult) said something about already being hungry. My mom pipes up and says, “Well, I have a banana in my car.” (Which means, it was probably ½ a banana - because she NEVER finishes anything - and it also means it had been in the car at least several days because we were in Dahlonega and she had travelled from FL). Who would want to eat that??!! But she was absolutely sure that an old 1/2 banana was exactly what Amy needed at that exact moment. I think what Amy  - well all of us - really needed at that exact moment was TO GET IN THE CAR AND GO TO THE RESTAURANT!
 
I was in Walmart a short time after that and saw plastic fruit - including bananas. It was too perfect! If I bought ALL the plastic bananas at our Walmart, then we could all have a plastic banana in our car in the event that another banana emergency arose!

Fast forward a few years. We had another family get together for my Mom’s 80th birthday party this year, we were all sitting around and laughing about the banana (because we bring it up every time we see her) and making other ridiculous banana jokes and someone wondered what would be the weirdest thing a banana could be and someone said, “A banana Jesus.” We all laughed because I mean come on - what the heck is a banana Jesus. BUT, my mom did not laugh. She has no sense of humor about religion and she was so offended about the joke that just to mess with her, (yes, age is given no pass, we would mess with a 100 year old given the chance and the right joke!) we continued to insert the banana Jesus line in almost every conversation all weekend long. She eventually got over herself (not really). A few days after I got home from all the fun, frivolity and banana Jesus jokes, my sister told me I had to watch Stephen Colbert at Comic Con. It was unbelievable. Stephen actually was ‘fake’ plugging a movie about Jesus and Banana Man. I nearly lost my mind!! 

How coincidental is that?? He stole our idea!! Well, actually he ran in a direction my family would have never been able to come up with. But he came really close to thievery - real close...
 
 
Make sure you watch both parts.Thank you Mr. Colbert for proving to my family that God does indeed have a sense of humor.

1 comment: