Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Price of Coffee


I don’t know if you have ever seen a commercial for the coffee maker named Nespresso. Well this post is all about that wonder machine.

I love coffee. I do not function during the day without coffee. My sister knew this fact so well that she bought me a sign. It reads, “Instant Human, Just Add Coffee.” No truer words were ever put on a plaque in regard to me. It hangs over my coffee maker.

The first time I ever saw a commercial for the Nespresso machine I was hooked. I drooled, I wished, I dreamed, I longed for, I WANTED one. But, there was a slight problem – the price. At that time is was just over $400. I could buy A LOT of ground coffee with that much money. No justification in the world would come to mind to allow me to spend cash like that just for a machine.

So, I let my dream go – until – a girl I work with brought her machine to work for our massive 12 Days of Christmas Feast Extravaganza last year. OH.MY.GOSH. The coffee was heaven in a mug. All the wonderful things I imagined about the machine and the coffee it brewed were realized. The machine even popped out the ‘pod’ and put it into a discard container for you after it brewed the coffee! You never have to touch anything hot – except your coffee! HAZAH! They thought of everything!

My friend told me that the price had dropped too – to $300.00. YAY?! But still no dice for me.

I mean coffee makers are basically water heaters that drop their hot water through a filter and grounds. They aren’t made of gold.

But last weekend I stumbled across one in Goodwill. Yes, Goodwill. I looked at it and walked away. I came back and looked at it again. I walked away AGAIN, but the thing was calling my name. I was hesitant because our Goodwill has turned a place for unwanted things to be cheaply re-purchased and loved again, into a “½ price mart.” I swear I think they look up items in stores and on eBay and then price them ½ of what they found. I have even seen store price tags on items in our Goodwill and then saw the multiple stickers on the item with only 20 – 30 percent off. I have seen items priced in Goodwill higher than they are priced in a store. That includes old, used coffee makers of all makes and models. Most times, the price is ridiculously high.

But Saturday, the planets aligned and karma was on my side. I asked my husband to take it off the shelf and tell me what price they had on this machine of glory.

He said, “$10.” WHAT? $10!! I was stunned! They obviously had no idea what they had. An employee told us it was cheap because it was ‘missing a part’. The only thing missing was the discard container. No worries, it is nonessential to me.

I still worried though about why someone would get rid of the Adonis of coffedom and I speculated that perhaps it didn’t work. I might buy a useless hunk of plastic and metal. I could waste $10!

But, I had to give it a try. I have wasted $10 on lesser dreams.

Long story short. IT WORKS! Nespresso even sent us a discard container for FREE!

Once in a while, the universe throws you a bone….

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    Sounds like the universe threw you a cadillac coffee maker!

    ReplyDelete