Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Message

I think I speak for multiple people when I say:


Dear Customer,


I am sorry you did not get me this morning on the phone but I was working with another customer that was standing in my office. I was also with other people when you called 3 more times in less than 15 minutes. Not one of those times did you leave me a message.


When you then called another department multiple times to have them transfer you to me  - and they did - you also did not leave a message on my phone.


Calling yet another department and telling someone to 'give me a message that I needed to call you as soon as possible' is not appropriate. Why did you give them a message, but did not leave one on my telephone? I am the person you need to speak to - not anyone in any other department.


Later, you called a completely different department and had them email me that I needed to call you because it was very important that you make a payment today.


Now, I do not know your situation and why it was of UTMOST importance that a payment be made today, since it isn't due for 2 weeks and it can be made online like your other payments were, but dear persistent caller, you do not know my situation either.


Did you know that today I am the ONLY PERSON in my department. Did you know I had meetings? Did you care that I was very busy today and that IF you had left me a message on my phone, I probably would have tried to call you back. ONE message is all that was required. But you didn't leave that one message.


You chose to round robin every department in this office and in doing so, your constant interruptions made it frustrating as I was trying to get other things done. It also made it highly unlikely that you will get a call today. There is such a thing as patience. You are not entitled to be served the minute you reach out. Sometimes, life doesn't happen that way. You are not the only person in this world.


Badgering does nothing but provoke, and in this case, the squeaky wheel will not get the grease.


Signed,


Overworked, Overwhelmed Employee

3 comments:

  1. Nicely put.

    And on the other side of that, you call an office or business and are immediately put on hold. Every three minutes the ugly music is interrupted by a gently cheery voice urging you to "wait just a few minutes more, one of our representatives will be with you shortly."

    No, they won't. They are all having lunch or at a meeting about customer response etiquette.

    I usually wait for three rounds, or until I've begun humming along with the banjos, and then I hang up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it works both ways. I have visions of huge companies 30 stories up, with a bank of automated stuff. In one small room is one small woman, who does the accounting. She actually answers her phone.
    When you ask for 'billing' on the phone (press one for spanish, two for english, three for billing) she always always answers her phone. You get flustered, sound embarrassed, and say, 'oh my goodness I am so sorry, I was looking for Customer Services..." and she says, "Oh, no problem, I can patch you through right here."
    Works every time.

    ReplyDelete