Sunday, October 5, 2014

Halloween Queen

I have a sign in my office that says:

Until further notice…celebrate everything

That is how I like to live my life – outside of work. Nothing to celebrate there - except that I am not unemployed.

I like celebrate fall, summer, winter, spring, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, New Years, St. Patrick’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July,  Flag Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, I have a great red car day, I thought of my kids day so I am going to buy what I found that made me think of them day, my husband is cute day, even, I don’t have to go to work day. ANY DAY I can think of to change up, decorate, act crazy, cook special food, just generally be happy and live on a different level than like I exist on a normally dismal, boring, routine week in life. Let’s face it, life gets monotonous and I need a diversion!

My husband doesn’t see it that way though. He just sees all this celebrating as ‘an expense.’

In the past few years for some reason I have embraced decorating for Halloween. I used to hate Halloween. No candy, no decorating. I was the world’s greatest Ba Humbug anti-celebrate this day individual you have ever seen. When my entire workplace dressed up one year, I refused. I was cajoled and begged, but I stood up for my beliefs and went as a ‘human’ that day. I couldn’t dress up! It was the Devil’s Day & I wanted no part of his evil plot to take over the world via dressed up children (and adults) begging for candy.

Then I had kids. I lost my mind, but I gained perspective. The celebrate anything for any reason perspective.

So, now I decorate for, dress up for and embrace the holiday that celebrates being someone other than yourself. I even decorate my office and dress up at work. I won first place in the costume contest last year. Today a coworker just came into my office and called me the “Halloween Queen.” Talk about a role reversal. AND I LOVE IT.

I may put on my crown this year because the term ‘Queen’ just may be true. This year I even decorated my car. It is 'blood red' after all. Some say I have gone too far. But I have ask, how much farther could I go??




Just wait until next year!


1 comment:

  1. You've lost quite a bit of weight since I last saw you !!!!!
    Ooooo, I crack myself up !
    Nice post !

    ReplyDelete